Quick and Basic Tips for Training Level Dressage Tests
Jul 20, 2021
- Practice in your mind, with as much detail, before your show. You can even set up a little arena in your living room and pretend you are the horse. This is great exercise also!
- When entering at A, create a square turn feeling and send your horse forward towards the judge. Be confident! This forward energy will also help you stay straight.
- Exhale when you halt and salute, settle, take a deep breath again, and Go For It!
- Ride into your corners and pay special attention to your geometry. During practice, try and have someone film you to help you review.
- Breathe through each transition.
- Have the slightest feeling of leg yielding out to help with your transitions. This will help keep you and your horse stay connected.
- Steady on your outside rein.
- Allow yourself to think of a marching song in your free walk. I like the Darth Vader theme from Star Wars, but find your favorite 4 beat cadence!
- If something goes wrong, breathe and focus on what is next. Every moment counts. Don't let a past hiccup cloud the rest of your test!
- Thank your horse for every stage of his/her learning. Appreciate all that you are learning together and Don't Be Too Hard On Yourself.
May the horse be with you. Always.